Jordan is known for being a very peaceful nation in the Middle East. It houses one of World’s wonders known as The Petra of Jordan. However Jordan has some other beautiful wonders too in its bag. Some of these wonders are produced or carved into the hills of Jordan.
Castles, citadels, churches and temples everything gets its own piece of land in this country. A lot of tourists flog into here to feel the magnificence of Jordan’s tourism offerings. Here are 7 must see wonders of Jordan for any traveler.
- Petra: One of the Seven Wonders of the World, Petra of Jordan is also one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Petra was an ancient city famous for its architecture; it has been made out of a rock, and its water systems. Petra is also called by the name ‘The Rose City’, because of the color of the stone it has been carved out of. The Petra has been a famous shooting location for various media forms.
- Amman Citadel: Situated in downtown Amman, the capital of Jordan, is an archaeological site on an L shaped hill. The hill also has the Temple of Hercules, a Byzantine church and the Umayyad Palace amongst its buildings. The Jordan Archaeological Museum is also situated here where a lot of the archaeological artifacts found excavated in the area is stored.
- Qasr Amra: Qasr Amra is a desert castle and one of the best in the area. It was built in the 8th Century and has become an important evidence of ancient Islamic architecture. It is also one of the places from Jordan which is on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
- Roman Theater: Situated in Amman, the Roman Theatre is one of the biggest monuments of Jordan. The theater was built in 2nd century and can seat around 6000 people. It is a famous landmark that was built when the Romans were ruling the city and was then called as Philadelphia. The Roman Nymphaeum is also very close from this place.
- Ajloun Castle: The castle of Ajloun was built in the 12th century. It was an important castle used in ancient times to control the different areas of the Jordan Valley. It has a one of the heaviest tourist attractions among Jordan’s different ancient buildings. It also has a museum inside it which has preserved all the artifacts excavated from various parts of the region.
- Temple of Artemis: Artemis was the Greek God of hunting and wild animals. She was the patron God of Gerasa, ancient Jerash. Jerash is the present city where this Temple is situated. It was an important temple during the earlier Greco-Roman times. You can have a glimpse of the architecture of the ancient world and also learn facts of mythology here.
- Montreal – The Crusader Castle: The Montreal castle is also called as the Shobak Castle. It is one of the famous castles in the area. The area was earlier known as Mons Realis, the Royal Mountain and was built by King Baldwin I in AD 1115. It is one of the oldest connections to the crusades in Christian history.
Jordan is one of the most traveled to countries of the Middle East. The deserts have welcomed all kinds of travelers into its abode. As travelers we must gives these places a visit. Just so that we can admire their importance. Travel with Cozmo travel to have a pleasant and memorable UAE tour. Read more interesting blogs on travel and get inspired.